Monday, October 11, 2010

Flying in a Duo Discus

August 5, 2010 - I got the opportunity of a lifetime to go flying in a Duo Discus sailplane piloted by my brothers' instructor and friend, York Zentner. Being the day after Warren's funeral, this was probably not the best time to fly as far as my emotions were concerned. But what better way to experience what Warren already knew? Plus this was something I felt I had to do.

For a rookie pilot, getting towed up was a bit unnerving. The air was very buoyant so we were bobbing up and down while at the same time being literally jerked into the air by the tow plane.
Once up to a good altitude, York told me to pull the yellow tow release handle. With a thud, we were free from the tow plane and on our own. York made a sharp bank to the right. To me it felt like a 45 degree turn. But I'm sure I'm exaggerating.

We took off from Morgan County Airport, Mountain Green UT and flew to Evanston WY then to Bear Lake UT, Logan, UT and then back to Mountain Green. We got as high as 16,000 feet and were flying at the base of the clouds. Very COOL! It was a fantastic day with great weather and strong thermals. We were up for about 3 1/2 hours. Yeah, it was a great day, one that I'll never forget.

I always thought that you needed a Lear 35 or a Gulfstream IV to have fun flying. But these simple yet elegant sailplanes have shown this pilot wannbee the true joy of flying like an Eagle. And as Leonardo da Vinci said: "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"

Warren, now I understand. Someday when I get enough money, I'll learn how to fly so I can continue your legacy.




































No comments:

Post a Comment